Thursday, March 26, 2009

"on the bright side..."


My oldest son (above) is a brooder like me. Last night I realized a mistake I had made in scheduling an event for the church. What had begun as a well executed and communicated plan was falling apart in front of me as I realized this very simple yet somewhat dramatic miscalcualtion. I was visibly upset. I stomped through the house for a little bit before I decided to go take a walk and gather myself. As I walked to the door mt oldest son, who was awake way past bedtime because his spring break had begun, walked up to me and said "Daddy, I am just like you right now. I'm not on the bright side either. I lost all the guns to my Clone Troopers." There is no end to the delight I take in my son misquoting age old catch-phrases. I immediately calmed down and told him I would help him find all his clone trroper guns.

I wasn't on the bright side. It was evident and my seven year-old related. His lost toy accessories amounted to the same degree of importance as my event planning disaster. He is right of course if we consider all things- life, death, eternity etc. How many withered vines am I going to lament (Jonah 4:8) and flown breezes will I madly chase? It is far better and more constructive to be on the bright side

No comments:

Post a Comment