Tuesday, April 7, 2009

table for two


table for two
Originally uploaded by jami~

My wife and I are going to have breakfast together every Monday morning from now on. We drop the boys off at school and then sit down and talk for a couple of hours. There is no one I enjoy talking to more than my wife. There is also no one that can make me more unease with myself more than my wife. She is a formidable human being- I am to a large to degree what I am today because of her influence in my life. Sure, if you were to meet her you would immediately take a liking to her- everyone does. She has that quality of a person that makes you feel as though they feel there is nothing in the world more important than what you are saying right at that moment. Of course that means you absolutely cannot be false to her either.

In any case it’s a date written in stone- her, me, and the McDonald’s Playland where our two year old can occupy himself while we discuss marriage, the upcoming week, the larger future, the concept of eternity, Pauline eschatology, the Red Sox, or weather my writing pushes the boundaries of grammar and syntax or simply contains run-on sentences.

Perhaps you might say to yourself, “What’s the big deal? So you get breakfast with your wife, everyone does that.” Yeah, well…not everyone apparently. When we had less children and no children we spent that sort of time regularly but the advent of a more complex life rendered such times immensely difficult to maintain. However, with concerted effort and unshakeable commitment I will once again stare at my wife over a coffee table and look her in the eyes for more than 30 seconds without the distraction of aerial food assaults, endless questions of Star Wars lore, or general whining- every Monday at 9:30 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment