Friday, March 20, 2009

Why Elihu?



I suppose the most appropriate place to begin this blog would be a brief explanation as to its title. I will not, presently, plunder the rich historical context of the name as of yet but will instead explain its meaning as it relates to me and why I chose it. Elihu was a friend of Job most likely; at worst he was a contemporary and neighbor. He is regarded ambivalently by most on account of his long and prickly monologue of four chapters in the book of Job. He is indignant with everyone and perplexed with the obvious dimness by his present company and their inability to see the truth that he has so readily grasped. An important fact is given to the reader in that he is young- so young he waits to speak until everyone else has had their say.

 

While he makes some valid arguments in his speech he does little to distinguish himself through the haze of his self-righteousness and misguided diatribe as to why things happen. Yet, he redeems himself somewhat in the end during his powerful description of God. He gives a moving and elegant charge to the company of friends to see God as He is and it gives levity to the situation at hand. As he closes God then takes up the reign of dialogue and goes on to describe Himself in a similar vein to that of Elihu. In the end Job is redeemed, his three friends are rebuked, and Elihu is noticeable absent from the narrative again.

 

I believe that Elihu was very much in the wrong for his explanation of Job's condition and his reliance on the logical causality of iniquity equals hardship and hardship stems from iniquity. He is brash, judgmental, and unsympathetic. Yet, with that said he had an unwavering and poetic notion of God's "rightness". I think it is why God lets him off the hook in the end.

 

I relate to Elihu. I am often narrow-minded and harsh in my outlook of things. Yet, I rejoice in Elihu's confidence in justice. I also rejoice in his willingness to join the fray and ensure the weighty perspective of God’s nature into the conversation. He is confrontational, he is often wrong, and he lacks judgment- He also has a view of God that will guide him in his pursuit for truth. I see myself in Elihu. I am tempered by his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment